A community becomes a great place to live, work, and visit when it provides its people with excellent services and friendly people. In and around Markesan you can find exactly that and so much more. See what our area has to offer:
Located in the heart of the Grand River Valley, in the City of Markesan, Markesan District Schools serve 17 different area municipalities and boast an enrollment of over 750 students. Comprised of two separate buildings, the schools serve students attending 4-year-old Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Significantly exceeding state expectations in core instructional areas such as language arts, math, and overall student growth, the Markesan District Schools were acknowledged by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction as being one of the top 10 K-12 School districts across the entire state.
In addition to excellent academics, the district offers a wide array of sports and extra-curricular activities covering a range of interests.
Markesan Public Library, located at 75 N Bridge Street, in downtown Markesan, offers an impressive and extensive collection of materials with weekly additions. If you can’t find what you need on site, the Markesan Public Library has the resources to access materials from over 30 libraries in five counties. Book discussion groups meet regularly, and the library sponsors a popular story time and summer reading program for children.
Serving the residents of Dalton, Kingston, Marquette, Manchester and surrounding areas, the Kingston Mill Pond Library, located at 140 N. South Street, Kingston, also boasts a vast selection of books, media, and services.
Several area churches meet the spiritual needs of community
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 41 St. Joseph
Street, Markesan (920) 398-3146
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 177 W. Pearl Street,
Kingston (920) 398-3146
- Grand Valley Servants of Yahweh (920) 394-3865
- Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (WELS), 316
Vine Street, Kingston (920) 394-2242
- St. John’s Lutheran Church (WELS), N483 County
Highway M, Salemville (920) 394-2242
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 233 Sherman Avenue,
Marquette (920) 398-2885
- St. John’s Lutheran Church (WELS), 65 W. Catherine
Street, Markesan (920) 398-2928
- United Methodist Church, 216 E. Pearl Street,
Kingston (920) 748-3566
- Markesan United Methodist, 74 E. Catherine
Street, Markesan (920) 398-3254
Helping the Grand River Valley community feel like home, dozens of service organizations work individually and together to perform charitable tasks through direct, hands-on efforts and by raising money for specific causes. The generosity of these service organizations is widespread and felt throughout the community. Residents are encouraged to support these organizations’ efforts by joining or attending the many social events and functions they host.
- Markesan Kiwanis Club
- Kingston American Legion Post 395
- Fairwater Historical Society
- Kingston Lions Club
- Markesan American Legion & Auxiliary
- Markesan Fire Department
- Markesan Lions Club
- Harmony Kings & Queens Barbershop Chorus
- Kingston Historical Preservation Society
- Manchester Activity Center
- Markesan Chamber of Commerce
- KDM Seniors (Kingston-Dalton-Marquette)